Struts Framework Introduction
Struts is a Open-Source Java Web Application Development Framework based on MVC (Model-View-Controller) design pattern. It is one of the oldest and mature web application development framework. Various web applications are using Struts for there web portals development. We can say that various applications are powered by Struts MVC architecture.
Struts is based on JSP and Servlet technologies.
Struts simplifies the development and management of large web applications. It contains well-defined set of processes to handle common tasks as listed below:
1. Separation of the logics.(modular development)
2. Validation(Client side and Server side)
3. Multiple view support
4. Modular view like Tiles
5. Declarative exception handling
6. Multiple URL pattern support
7. Declarative role based access.
8. Intercepting the request before and after the request processing.
9. Flexible tag library support for html form components, I18N, bean values accessing, logical conditions, iteration conditions, AJAX support etc.
10. Internationalization supports (I18N) or multiple language support in an application.
11. Extensibility of the application
12. High performance
13. Thread safe application
14. High productivity while development
15. Low development and maintenance cost.
16. Testable application using POJO based programming style
17. Achieving the configuration simplicity using Java5 annotations.
Struts Major Versions:
Struts is MVC framework can be easily integrated with Spring Framework and gets additional benefits.
We will discuss these features seperatly in coming posts.